Andy Lowings came with a great song for us to play and sing at NHM 2014. We had a lovely percussion section, harps, lyres, a double bass, a guitar and a choir. The song is called Bosenga and comes from Cameroon. See for yourself how we did.
Big thanks to all participants who came to Gjøvik, and to Gjøvik Spelmannslag for making it possible. I hope we will meet again!
Some quotes from participants:
“The Nordic Harp Meeting in Gjøvik was full-on, high-quality, learning-and-exchanging fun!” (Andy Lowings)
“Despite a 9 hour drive I returned bubbling with inspiration and energy! Already looking forward to next year in Turku!” (Maria Ojantakanen)
The website has been updated with following workshop descriptions:
– Niss Stricker (Denmark): Danish ballads and dance tunes
– Andy Lowings (England): Lyre music, African style
– Minna Raskinen (Finland): Damping style in small kantele playing
– Erik Ask-Upmark (Sweden): Swedish folk tunes
– Yrjänä and Helka Ermala (Finland): Finnish folk songs
– Václava van der Meijs (Czech Republic): Bohemian songs and Moravian songs
– Bára Grímsdóttir (Iceland) & Chris Foster (England/Iceland): Icelandic songs (focus on tvísöng) and instruments (Langspil and fiðla)
– Stefan Battige (Germany): Harp for beginners
– Nancy Thym (California/Germany): Strung out on metal, gut and nylon – pros and cons of different string materials (lecture)
– Nancy Thym (California/Germany): Blues and Rock ‘n Roll Riffs for harps (workshop)
– Tim Rohrmann (Germany): How to make harp music out of a simple melody
– Patrik Weckman (Finland): jouhikko, the Finnish bowed lyre: History and tunes
From now on, you can register your participation at the Nordic Harp Meeting 2014:
Link to the three steps of registration
The Nordic Harp Meeting 2014 will start on Thursday, 23 October, at 4 p.m. and end with the Sunday lunch, cca 1 p.m. The venue is Tingbygningen på Hunn, Hunnsvegen 29, 2819 Gjøvik, Oppland, Norway (click here for a map).
We start on Thursday, 23 October, at 4 p.m. and end with the Sunday lunch, cca 1 p.m.
All meals will be served at the hostel of Gjøvik which is situated within walking distance from the venue. Please book your accomodation at the hostel of Gjøvik on your own, but don’t forget to mention that you are participating in the NHM.
Click here for details about registration, participation fee etc.